Wednesday 9 April 2014

OUGD503- Tiger Print- Competition Brief


Brief 

I am required to design up to 5 patterns based around the theme of geometric.

-Target Audience: M&S consumer 

-Geometric themed

-Repeat pattern or surface print 

-Black and White!

-Designs need to work a cross a range of media

-Maximum of 5 designs 

-Deadline/ 31st March


Development 


I wanted to use squares for the basis of my pattern to relate to the geometric theme. I started by layering four squares on top of each other leaving the top square revealed. I arranged the shapes into seven columns deleting selected squares to create a disjointed pattern. This will be the net for each pattern.

Print1



I have used the brush above on the outline of selected squares. I have left some squares with the original uniform to create texture between the rough and clinical lines.



Print2



By using the same method I have made the pattern by applying the brush above but with a larger stroke to create a bold print. 



Print3



This design is similar to the one above but slightly more bold with some texture to soften the harsh black edges where it meets the white, I think this gives the design a more hands made feel to it.



Print4




This design is my favourite so far because I think it best suits the target audience and would fit in with the previous designs M&S are currently using. I had to delete some more squares this time to even out the white space.



Print5




The last three design have been heavy on the black so I wanted this one to be more open and use the white space. Because of the shape of the brush I had to lower the stroke to allow the lines to be separate instead of them being squashed together to create to much black.




Final Designs/

 Print1


 Print2

 Print3
 Print4
 Print5


Submission



Unfortunately I didn't win the competition but it was a good experience. I found the competition late so it helped me to think fast to design with a quick turn around which is something I need to improve on.

No comments:

Post a Comment