Tuesday 17 December 2013

OUGD504-Production

I printed the the cover pages for each process to get a feel for what the colours would like like together and with the bold black ink.


I think just having black ink will work well because the colours are so vivid. After my crit It was mentioned that the yellow and orange were a bit to bright compared to the other colours so I have re-ordered the stock with the yellow and orange toned down and the pink more of a salmon colour.


I wanted to see if all the pages worked when each section is put together so I mocked up the book to get a better understanding of how it works.









The changed the ordering of the processes because it was mentioned in my crit. It think the order is more logical now and I feel the design is ready to be printed. I am going to digitally print the book to control costs.


Now I have my book printed I started the production process.


The first thing I had to do was cut all the pages to size. I did this by hand so i could use the registration marks to to get the same size for each page.


I was originally going to screen print the front and back cover onto navy mount board but the back of the board was bright white which I think would look really harsh next the soft colours of the pages, so I decided to digitally print the covers and stay mount on to the white side. I think this has worked out well with the contrast of colours.


This is the order that the pages will be in. Im glad I decided to use different stock to my original stock. I think it works much better together.



Now the pages are ready to be bound. I am going to coptic bind the book so the spine will look like this from the side, revealing the colours of the pages.


These are the posters that will be at the back of each section. I need to buy some velcro pads to attach the posters so they can be removed without damaging the book.


I folded the posters in half then into three sections.



The bind the book I had to punch holes in each section. 


I decided to use three nots at the top and bottom of the spine to give the book extra strength. 


Four hours later...To finish the bind I had to tie off the thread on the inner page, I double knotted it to make sure it doesn't come loose.



I pretty pleased with the result, its a little rough in some areas but I quite like it, I think it gives the book character and adds to the purpose of the book, as its about being hands on and all. 


Next I secured the velcro dots to the posters so I could attach them to the pull-out page. 


With all the pages in place the book looks is a bit bloated. Thinking bout it now, I should of made the binding looser to compensate for this. Finally I trimmed the edges of the pages to neaten it up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment