Tuesday 8 April 2014

OUGD503- R.A.B publishing- live brief

The Brief:

I have been approached by R.A.B, a small book publishing company in Oxford to create some art work for a publication based around Hip Hop and art. I have been in talks with the company and they would like me to create two images in response to a selection of hip hop quotes. The client referenced some of my previous work that he liked so I had a good starting point to work from.



I wasn't sure about how to approach this, so I asked John for some advice so I could go about it in a professional way. After some dialog with the company I now have a brief to work to. 

Deliverables

-Create two images to fit with hip hop quotes:


Mf doom> accordion: Living off borrowed time, the clock ticks faster." 

Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five - "The Message">  "Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge/I'm trying not to lose my head/It's like a jungle. Sometimes it makes me wonder/How I keep from goin' under." 



Dimensions> width 9.5 X height 13.3cm

Deadline> 01/12/2013 





Image1

The first quote I am going to create artwork for is:

Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five - "The Message">  "Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge/I'm trying not to lose my head/It's like a jungle. Sometimes it makes me wonder/How I keep from goin' under." 

The client had asked me to create a piece similar to some work I had done in the past so I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to achieve. To create the first artwork I am going to use photoshop to create a digital collage. I didn't need to draw any thumbnails because I like to experiment as I go along when I create digital collage.


I wanted to use a violet hue in the image to relate to some of the graffiti i found in my research. I used a gradient with the black to create some nice shading. 


I used a birds eye view image of the Bronx for some texture. I changed the blending mode to overlay and lowered the opacity to allow the violet to come through.


I started to build up the image with sections of buildings to add depth and distort the perspective. 


I changed the blending mode and duplicated the image to blend the colours and shadows so each image looked part of the same building.



Next I added the foreground to the image using the same techniques. This gave the design a structure and made it easier to visualise what the image needed.


I added an image of some railway lines to the background to represent the industrial characteristics f the city.


The fill the middle of the image I added a side on perspective of a building. I had to blend the edges by painting black on a separate layer and changing the blending mode.


To finish the design I added a skyline behind and painted some smoke coming out of the building window. Im really happy with the final outcome. I might have to adjust the levels to brighten the whole image because Im worried it may look a little dark when printed.


Final Image




Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five - "The Message"

"Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge/I'm trying not to lose my head/It's like a jungle. Sometimes it makes me wonder/How I keep from goin' under." 


Image2
The second quote I am going to create artwork for is:

Mf doom- Accordion : "Living off borrowed time, the clock ticks faster." 

To create the second artwork I am going to use Illustrator. I want to create a design that has a rough feel to it, almost like a screen print to reflect the darkness of the song.



I started by drawing the main features of the iron mask that the artist is known for wearing. 


I didn't want the edges to be clean cut so applied the charcoal brush to the outline of the paths.


For the eyes, I used Roman numerals to represent a clock to represent the 'clock ticks faster, living on borrowed time' lyric. 



I used a circle path the create the pupil and added a red fill with a black outline. I increased the weight of the outline to get a nice retina effect. I am going to use red, green and violet for the main colours as these are heavily featured in a lot of the album artwork.



I did the same for the left eye but increased the size of the circle. For the pupil I used a line path instead of a circle. I think this creates a nice contrast between the two.



Next I created the mouth. I wanted it to represent the keys from a piano because a piano riff is used as the main hook line of the song.


I simple duplicated the objects and reversed it horizontally to form the lower teeth.


Now the main features are completed I can move onto adding the background colour.


The physical mask is a metallic colour so I wanted to use a deep grey for the middle section of the image. This will allow the colours of the pupils to stand out. 


I used violet to fill the jawline sections to balance out the image. 


I didn't like the gaps above the nose joint so I tried filling them with the colours of the eyes. 


I wanted to use the green and red to fill the top two sections. To balance the colours of the eyes I decided to the colours on alternate sides, I think this creates a more harmonies look as it looked too repetitive on the same side. 




Final Image



Mf doom

Accordion: "Living off borrowed time, the clock ticks faster." 

No comments:

Post a Comment