I am going to use two typefaces in my publication:
Archivo will be for the headings and helvetica for the body copy.
I create a custom grid in illustrator for the opening page for each print process.
I have used a four column grid in my indesign document with a 20mm margin which is the size of the pullout. I made the guides fit to the margins so I can keep the content inside of the margin.
For the introduction section I have grouped it with the tools and materials section. I arranged the content in the center using the middle two columns. I will use the same layout for all the introductory pages in each process to keep continuity.
I felt the tools/materials page looked a bit bare so I added the same border as the first page with a scaled down copy inside.
I didn't think that was working so I tried using the the illustration from the first page. I duplicated it and flipped it horizontally to balance out the page.
Next I created some illustrations to work along side the 'preparing artwork' section. I wanted to keep them simple and in the same style as the first page.
I arranged the heading so it leads the eye to the body copy on the opposite page.
I rotated the spanner 45degrees to make the layout more interesting and so it fit to the grid.
The next section is preparing the woodblock so I wanted to create a illustration that could be used for all the processes. The illustration is meant to represent tools as this is when the viewer is instructed to use them. I looked at universal symbols for tools and created my own interpretation.
I haven't got much text for this section so I have kept the column width and position the same as the previous page.
For the next section I though a roller would work well to represent printing.
I slightly rotated the illustration and aligned the heading above it. I made a copy of the heading and flipped it vertically so I could replicate the roller printing the heading.
To finish the illustration I added a box around the heading to represent the printing impression from the roller.
I had a bit more body copy for this section so I tried using a two column layout.
I created a dashed box around the margin to frame the pullout section.
I didn't think the body copy was working being underneath the pullout so I transferred it to the next page for better functionality.
I framed it with a box so It can be recognised as the same section and added an ink drop at the bottom.
I forgot that the pages have to be a multiple of four to print a book so the extra two pages made up the difference, so I have 12 pages per process.
I also changed the illustration by filling it in with black and adding the heading so the audience will know to pull out the poster/guide.
For the other processes I will you use the same layout throughout to keep continuity. However, I will need to accommodate for the larger body copy.
I had to use a two and three column grids for the pages above to get the body copy to fit. This meant I had to adjust the illustration size to the column width so I could span the content across four columns on the 'preparing the plate' section.
For these pages I had to use one and two column grids to get the content to fit. I adjusted the text box sizes to try and get the text to align evenly at the bottom of the paragraphs.
After I had finished the processes, I started to deign the opening pages of the book.
Because it needs to be a multiple of four, I decided to have a statement on the first page, content on the next and a small introductory paragraph following.
Again I used the same grid as the other pages. The little squares have become a design characteristic throughout the book to help link everything together.
The front and back cover will be printed separately and glued onto the front and back pages of the book. I have designed the pages so the front and back are blank so it won't affect he print when glued.
I made the grid to replica how it will be folded.