Wednesday 2 October 2013

OUGD504- Studio Workshop 1

In our groups we were asked to have a discussion about the following:

Part 1
What is design for print:
  • A physical product
  • Mass Production 
  • Physical process 
  • Scale
  • Books, posters, mail shots, packaging, stickers, letterhead, business cards....
  • Higher relevance of context
  • CMYK
  • Considering production processes
  • Thinking about materials to print onto
  • Working with pantone swatches to identify certain colours

We had to think of a sentence that describes what design for print is.

Summary-
"Information applied/transferred onto a (specific) surface with consideration of process, scale, purpose and situation." 




After some discussion we came to the conclusion that it is impossible to sum up what design for print is in a sentence as it has to many factors to consider.

 Print Categories 

-Format

-Colour

-Production

-Processes 

-Finishing 

-Stock

These categories can be applied to screen apart from stock.

Designing for print can not be retracted where as designing for web can.


Part 2
Identify as many different processes for print:
  • Screen Printing 
  • Spot varnish
  • Foiling 
  • Embossing
  • Laser cut 
  • 3D printing
  • Etching 
  • Letter press
  • Lino cutting 
  • Digital printing
  • Collograph printing
  • Stamping
  • Lithograph 


What processes would I like to learn this year?

  • I didn't really enjoy screen printing last year but I think it would be good to give it another go as it will allow me to print onto a wider variety of stock and experiment with colour.
  • I would like to try embossing as I haven't tried it before.
  • Foiling is something I would like to experiment with also as I haven't tried it.
I worked mainly digitally last year so I would like to move away from the computer and take a more hands on approach to my work. This will expand my knowledge of processes and improve my finishing skills whilst giving me a better appreciation of cost and time management.


Find two examples for each print categories:


-Format

Poster



























Publication 


-Colour

















-Production




Screen Print


-Processes 






















Embossing 





Letterpress 



-Finishing 

























Spot varnishing 






















Foiling


-Stock





No comments:

Post a Comment