Wednesday 23 October 2013

OUGD504- Foiling Primary Research


Foiling was one of the processes that I wanted to experiment with.


I wanted to see how the foil would take to type and image so I tried a few different examples.


I tried three different foils:

- Black 
- Gold 
- Holographic



The technique I used was printing black toner ink onto stock and using heat to bind the foil. The foil has to be shiny side up for it to work.


I used the heat press to bind the foil to the ink. The conventional settings are 160 degrees for 12 sections. However, the foil didn't take to well to the ink so i had to leave it for 60 sections.







Using thin lines instead of blocks of ink seamed to take to the foil better. 



From my findings I discovered the holographic foil didn't take very well to the ink. The black foil was the most successful out of the three. 

I found it useful to try this technique but the finish wasn't the best quality so if I was to use it again I would think about trying it with a screen and glue which would create a better quality finish. However, this could be a nice affect if I wanted a worn, weathered finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment