The problem that we have to identify is 'How to tell a lie convincingly'.
To resolve this problem we have decided to create a lie to try and deceive our peers with.
As a group we started by brainstorming some initial ideas.
- Fake brief- This idea involved creating a brief for the class and telling them it had to be done by friday
- Fake competition- This is the idea we have decided to develop as we thought it would be the most effective
- Fake guest speaker- We had the idea to tell the class that a guest speaker was coming in on friday. For example, a famous designer or artist.
- Fake Christmas party- This is self explanatory however we felt it wasn't the best option.
- Fake foreign exchange student- We would of told the class that a foreign exchange student was coming in for the week and brought a friend to uni to pretend.
- Fake fundraiser- This would of involved collecting money of students which could of coursed problems so we decide against it.
After some discussion we decided to develop the fake competition idea further. We chose this idea because we felt it would be the most fun to work with and have more design elements.
As a group we discussed ideas for the name of the competition and came up with:
The idea is to get our peers and students from the college to send us photographs of themselves pulling stupid faces for the chance to win a prize.
Who needs to know?
- students from the college
What do they need to know?
- what the competition is about- send a photograph of the weirdest face you can pull for the chance to win a prize
- how to enter- email the photograph in jpeg format to firstname.lastname@example.org
- when to enter by- deadline thursday the 6th of December
- what the prize is- Diana f+ camera from Lomography
- How to follow the progress- blog web address
How will you tell them?
- Social networks
As a group, we each drew a sheet of thumbnails for the posters and flyers.
Harrison created this illustration to feature on the back of the flyer and on one of the posters.
I was responsible for developing the flyers digitally. I had an idea to combine two faces. I did this in photoshop and played with the threshold settings to get that pop, retro style.
Once I had finished the face, I moved onto designing the flyer. We deiced to have it double sided so we could achieve maximum impact on the front, with the necessary details on the back.
I used a pastel pink for the background, similar to the colours on the Lomography website, to grab the viewers attention. The font we used was called fatal fury, its a pixelated style font which also resembles the lomography logo.
On the back we wanted to display what the competition is, what you need to do and when by, in a simple and straight forward way. I experimented with the tracking and point size in Indesign for the clearest layout.
Beth was in charge of creating the posters for the competition. We worked along side each other to make sure the flyers and posters had continuity across the media.
Jamie and Jake set up a Tumblr blog for us to display the entries we received.
We put in small print at the bottom saying that it was a fake competition to cover ourselves incase we offended anyone.
To make the blog look official we thought it would be a good idea to put some some photos to get it started. Laura collected photos from friends and family to be displayed on the blog.
We printed 20 posters and 80 flyers to be placed around the college.
We displayed the posters on all the pin boards for each course in the college and in hotspots such as the lecture theatre, lift etc.
We placed the leaflets all over the college in various places were they were most likely to be seen.
Finally we asked Joe to post the posters on Facebook to the college group page.
Below are the slides from our presentation. We wanted to stylise it in the same way as the rest of the design work to make it more interesting visually for the audience.