Tuesday 9 October 2012

OUGD403- Alphabet Soup: Typeface




I am required to design a typeface for a full alphabet and glyphs that represent the personality/character of my partner.

The partner I received is Danielle Muntyan.

We got into our pairs and filled out a simple questionnaire about each other.





I didn't find these questions very helpful in understanding her personality so we had a further discussion about each others interests, character and traits.




I found this image on Danielle's Facebook profile. I think it must of been a similar activity she did at previous education. 

I have highlighted the main points of her personality to give me a starting point to conduct my research.


Character 

  • Loud
  • Opinionated 
  • Friendly
  • Organised chaos
  • Spanish/Italian/Hungarian/Ukrainian heritage 
  • Sociable
  • Confident
  • Feminine 
  • Glamorous 


    Danielle's character traits need to be represented with a bold, eye catching font that also has a feminine touch.




    The font I chose to manipulate is nouvelle vague. I have chosen this font because it combines bold with thin stokes which I think represents Danielle's personality really well.  She's a small person with a big, bold personality thats complimented with a feminine touch.


      Interests 

      • Cake decorating 
      • Baking
      • Tattoos 
      • Piercings 
      • Digital collage- Dawn Gardener 
      • Patterns 
      • Textures 
      • Fashion 
      My initial idea is to design a typeface that incorporates fashion and pattern designs from the countries of Danielle's heritage: Spain, Italy, Hungary and Ukraine.

      To start off I have arranged the alphabet to scale so I can start to experiment with different designs.




      I have selected some of the patterns from my research and arranged them onto sheets to start tracing from.




      Visual Investigation 

























      Now I have finished drawing the letter variations I am going to scan them and choose the strongest,  ready to fill areas with black to create the silhouette style discussed in my crit.


      Final Design


      I decided on these letterforms because I feel they work best with the colour. I am really pleased with the out come so far.



      Name Badge


      Because of the size of the name badge I had to descale my letterforms which made the detail hard to see. However the legibility/readability was good so it wasn't a complete disaster.
      To finish this brief off I had to choose a product that I think my typeface would fit. I chose Pandora because I think the decoration of my font works well with the products portraying delicate and intricate jewellery.














      No comments:

      Post a Comment